Friday, September 27, 2013

TUF: Episode 4

Somehow, between live blogging from my phone and editing today I lost more than half of this review. To say that I am pissed is an understatement I can’t with this thing. Let’s move on. I got tangled in the season premiere of Law and Order SVU so I missed the mess with the guest coach Dennis Hallman. I don’t know if Tate sent him in there to stir shit up or not but I know that Edmond Tarverdyan wasn’t here for it, and apparently there was some posturing and challenge to fight. Rousey figured it was an attempt to get Taverdyan kicked off so she intervened. I hear there was some additional BS about the Caraway Twitter thing that Dana had to get involve in. Who knows man, just when I was going to say it was a drama free episode.

This week the house is happy. The girls on team Tate are getting the opportunity to actually spar with the guys. Sarah Moras says this is what she is used to, and she doesn’t hold back. Bollinger and Fissete don’t either, although they both seem uncomfortable going at 100% with the women. 

Okay, here is my two cents on that. My fiancĂ© and I have talked about this at length, and while I agree that most men are stronger I don’t see why a woman can’t roll or spar with a man at 100% if she is a trained professional fighter. There is a blue belt chick at my school who is nothin but go hard. I have rolled with guys at I would say 60% and if I were better trained, better conditioned and more than a white belt, I would be happy to get in there and mix it up with them. What better way to find out what you can and can’t tolerate as a fighter. Look, when those women come for you in the ring they aren’t going to hold back, so what’s the big damn deal? My fiancĂ© of course disagrees. Whatever...

There's nothing but happy Warrior Roxanne Moldifari who is clearly my spirit animal and possibly my son's real mother. She is fun and funny and a happy person who loves Anime and Jiu Jitsu and her crocodile socks and fun facts like the fact that the act of smiling actually releases chemicals that make you feel more positive. She loves Nerf guns and the guys love her and the girls think she's awesome. She actually fought Baszler in Japan back in the day. Baszler has a ton of respect for her. She is seriously happy on the mat and apparently she is versed in Taekwondo, Judo and Jiu Jitsu. She is not to be toyed with. Unless she is playing with a Nerf gun of course.

Then we totally flip the script to Jessica Rakoczy who is telling the horrific story about her shitty abusive stepdad (who they imply killed her mother). She started boxing to get her anger under control. At 36 she is the oldest fighter in the house and a world title boxer. She looks like she's seen a very hard very long life. This is a classic grappler vs. striker bout. 

Just before the fight Roxy gets a note from Pena and I think it's just known that Pena gives notes of encouragement to the fighters on her team so maybe Holdsworth shouldn't feel so effing special. Jessica is fighting for a secure future for her little boy. She tears up every time she mentions him. It's beyond personal for her. 

Know what? I am still sort of angry about losing my post so let me just cut to the chase. First round Jessica spent getting out of some serious submission attempts. Second round she caught Roxy with some fast strikes and managed to get the TKO. Of course Rox wasn’t happy and Baszler felt her pain. Jessica lives to fight another day and Rousey gets her first win.


Next up are Fissette and Grant who are best buddies and roommates. I don’t know if they are going to make this fight interesting for me but we will see. Seriously I am blown about this review. I had a ton of really pertinent observations and stuff that I can only write while in the moment. Anyway, I hope next week is better and Blogger doesn’t eat my post.




No comments: